Friday, July 03, 2009

Parting With Roo....

I never was secretive about wanting a tummy tuck, but I also didn’t want people thinking it’s an issue of vanity. Before 8 pregnancies, 3 live births including 2 sets of identical twins, I would have told you that people who get plastic surgery were vain. I think it’s a fact of life that things will sag and get wrinkly as you get older, have children and time progresses. There’s a lot to be said for growing old with grace. So all that being said, I kind of felt like a traitor knowing that next Tuesday in Westlake Village, I will be going under the knife. I didn’t like how it got in the way when I was buying clothes, I didn’t like the way it bulged in weird areas, I didn’t like the way it looked in the mirror, and I didn’t like how when I laid down, it laid down next to me. The more I thought about it, the more surgery didn’t seem so out of line. Getting older is natural, hanging skin from giving birth to 5 beautiful boys is not.
Last night for the first time the reality of the surgery hit me. I was laying on the couch and I was thinking about my tummy and how it was flopping over. I thought “well it won’t do that for much longer!” I got really excited thinking about it, but as quickly as that feeling came, so did some new feelings regarding reality of the surgery.
I really will be cut hip to hip with a scalpel.I really will be laid up for a while in bed.
I really will not be able to pick up my kids for 6 weeks.I really will be in a lot of pain.I really will need several months to fully recover.I really will have a large scar.I really will be spending a lot of money.
I have looked at before and after photos on every site known to man on the internet. I dream about what it’s going to look like after surgery and soon enough, that dream, will become a reality with the help of Dr. Schwartz.

Next Blog update…post op J